[Suzaku-en:00491] Re: Question regarding Petalinux on Suzaku SZ130 hardware

John Paul email@hidden
Thu Nov 1 10:42:34 JST 2007

John,

Well, our current "almost" is that "make all" fails to compile init/main.c because it includes <module.h> which has

struct mod_arch_specific arch; on line 315.  So "field arch has incomplete type".

Did we miss some early step in the Custom Tutorial ?

Thanks !

John-Paul

  _____

From: John Williams [mailto:email@hidden]
To: SUZAKU general discussion list (in English) [mailto:email@hidden]
Sent: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:04:36 -0700
Subject: [Suzaku-en:00490] Re: Question regarding Petalinux on Suzaku SZ130 hardware

Hi folks,

  Mike Thompson wrote:
  > My thoughts are that the existing BBoot could be used unchanged from
  > the existing Suzaku uClinux 2.4 distribution to boot the Petalinux 2.6
  > kernel/romfs image.  We don't have a requirement for network based
  > booting and BBoot already knows how to stream the kernel/romfs image
  > from flash into in RAM and starting the kernel by jumping to it's
  > entry address.  Hopefully I'm not being naive, but it seems that if I
  > created a Petalinux 2.6 kernel/romfs image that more or less mimics
  > the old uClinux 2.4 kernel/image, I should be able to use the existing
  > Suzaku tools to place it into flash and have BBoot function as it does
  > today to start up the kernel.  As you note, we still have to use
  > Kermit to flash the Suzaku over the serial cable, but we've learned to
  > live with this :-).

  Adding kernel support for a Suzaku board to PetaLinux should be almost
  trivial, but then I'm a little biased and perhaps a little more
  experienced than most in this regard!

  As posters to this thread have correctly pointed out, the main issues
  should be EMAC and u-boot/hermit support.  PetaLinux includes a simple
  little zero-stage bootloader called FS-Boot - it can pull an SREC image
  via serial port and jump to it (or jump to a predefined flash address).
    That's enough to bootstrap a board with u-boot, which does all of the
  heavy lifting re: flash prorgamming and so on.

  The actual kernel config should be straight forward, just follow the
  directions at http://developer.petalogix.com for a custom board.  The
  BSP tools do most of the hard work, auto-config should take care of the
  rest.

  Feel free to post on the microblaze-uclinux list to discuss progress and
  issues.

  > I believe there is a Petalinux configuration for Suzaku in the 2.4
  > kernel, but not in the 2.6 kernel.  I'll have to look again.

  That's pretty ancient - I'd be surprised if it even builds anymore.
  Better to start from scraatch in the 2.6 kernel, I think.

  Regards,

  John