[Suzaku-en:00605] Re: Configuring SZ410 with FPU

Muis, A. email@hidden
Fri May 23 00:57:09 JST 2008

If you don't need the network remove that one. I think this will help
you

Andries

-----Original Message-----
From: email@hidden
[mailto:email@hidden] On Behalf Of Mike
Thompson
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:27 PM
To: SUZAKU general discussion list (in English)
Subject: [Suzaku-en:00604] Re: Configuring SZ410 with FPU

Thank you for your thoughts on this.  My solution was to take the two
DCM blocks out of the MHS file and add the following clock generator
block:

BEGIN clock_generator
  PARAMETER INSTANCE = clock_generator_0
  PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.00.a
  PARAMETER C_EXT_RESET_HIGH = 1
  PARAMETER C_CLKIN_FREQ = 100000000
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT0_FREQ = 100000000
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT0_PHASE = 0
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT0_GROUP = GROUP0
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT1_FREQ = 100000000
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT1_PHASE = 90
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT1_GROUP = GROUP0
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT2_FREQ = 200000000
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT2_PHASE = 0
  PARAMETER C_CLKOUT2_GROUP = GROUP0
  PORT CLKOUT0 = sys_clk_s   # also DDR_SDRAM_64Mx32_mpmc_clk_0_s
  PORT CLKOUT1 = DDR_SDRAM_64Mx32_mpmc_clk_90_s
  PORT CLKOUT2 = proc_clk_s  # also clk_200mhz_s
  PORT CLKIN = SYS_CLK_IN
  PORT LOCKED = Dcm_all_locked
  PORT RST = net_gnd
END

The resulting configuration seems to work fine and produces the same
clock frequencies you described.

Once I got this working I then I then ran into a bigger issue.  It
appears the Virtex4 xc4vfx12sf363-10 device on the Suzaku SZ410 simply
doesn't have the resources to implement the FPU.  The unmodified Suzaku
SZ410 project appears to utilize 3,878 slices of 5,472.  If I add the
FPU and the FCB IP the slice utilization goes to about 7,414 slices -- a

135% utilization of resources and a dead end.

On the Suzaku SZ130 I was used to implementing the Microblaze with all
the bells and whistles, an FPU and our own custom logic and having
plenty of resources left over.  I guess the xc4vfx12sf363-10 device has
a lot less resources on it that the Spartan xc3s1200e on the SZ130.
This is a pretty big disappointment.

I would love to hear from someone if they did manage to get the FPU
implemented on the SZ410 and what resource utilization there were able
to achieve.

Mike Thompson

Muis, A. wrote:
> Dear Mike,
>
> I'm not this good in adaptation of the DCM but i will give it a try.
> First check page 9 of the sz410-ja.pdf. On this page you can see the
two
> DCM's and their connection to the environment. You can see that the
DDR