[Suzaku-en:00792] Re: SZ410 - communication between linux and fpga / reading and writing variables

mizo email@hidden
Wed May 20 12:11:01 JST 2009

Hello,

Begandt, Benjamin wrote:
> You are refering to the ip core in the fpga? Till now - I think - there
> is no ip core used, because the plb will be built in the next time by
> another student, who is working on the fpga-part.
>
> So I'm just trying to find out, the best way to communicate between
> fpga and linux in order to realize the functions I described above.
>
> Any information how to solve that issue would help me.

To access the hardware from the linux(software level), I will describe
below. As your architecture is SZ410, I suppose that you are using the
default FPGA project, so the CPU should be PowerPC. Since the PowerPC is
MMU architecture CPU, what you should understand is howto convert
address between physical memory area and virtual memory area in kernel
space.

For Suzaku, all Linux kernel souce file could be downloaded from the
link below.
http://suzaku.atmark-techno.com/files/downloads/suzaku/dist/linux-2.6.18-at11.tar.gz

And the ethernet which sz410 is using, the device driver souce files are
in the linux-2.6.18-at11/drivers/net/xilinx_temac/ directory.

In this directory, if you take a look in adapter.c you will find
io_block_mapping() function. The purpose of this function is to convert
physical memory area to virtual memory area. Anyhow, the machanism of
this function is follow to PowerPC achetecture, by using the
ioremap_nocache() instead of it may be the easier way.

Regards,
mizo.